Businesses may adopt the following policy statements verbatim or modify them to reflect your unique business situation and philosophy. However, any modification of the Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Policy must include, at a minimum, all the points in clause 1.
Environmental Policy/Mission Statement
IRTronix) is committed to protecting the environment, the health and safety of our employees, and the community in which we conduct our business. It is our policy to seek continual improvement throughout our business operations to lessen our impact on the local and global environment by conserving energy, water, and other natural resources; reducing waste generation; recycling and; reducing our use of toxic materials. We are committed to environmental excellence and pollution prevention, meeting or exceeding all environmental regulatory requirements, and to purchasing products that have greater recycled content with lower toxicity and packaging, that reduces the use of natural resources.
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EPP) Policy
- Preference will be given to purchasing products and services that have the following environmentally friendly attributes with acceptable parameters for price, quality and delivery:
- Maximizes post-consumer recycled content.
- Minimizes packaging and other wastes.
- Minimizes toxicity.
- Are durable and reusable.
- Are more locally available to minimize transportation.
- Are made from sustainably produced materials.
- Are compostable or biodegradable.
- Conserves energy, water, and other natural resources.
- The goal of this policy is to ensure that products and services purchased or contracted for conform to the goals of our company’s environmental policy. We will strive, where feasible, to purchase environmentally preferable products and services to meet the company’s office and operational needs.We will also favor suppliers who strive to improve their environmental performance, provide environmentally preferable products, and who can document the supply chain impacts of their efforts.
Wherever possible, purchasing decisions will favor products and feedstocks that:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Are made with renewable energy.
- Reduce pollution from all discharges (releases to air, water, and land).
- Reduce the use of toxic materials hazardous to the environment, employees and public health.
- Contain the highest possible percentage of post-consumer recycled content.
- Reduce packaging and other waste.
- Are energy efficient.
- Conserve water.
- Are reusable and/or durable.
- Minimize transportation (local sources, concentrated products).
- Serve several functions (examples: copiers/printers, multipurpose cleaners) to reduce the number of products purchased.
Environmentally preferable products and services that are comparable in quality to their standard counterparts will receive a purchasing preference. In situations where the most environmentally preferable product is unavailable or impractical, secondary considerations will include production methods and the environmentally and socially responsible management practices of suppliers and producers. Environmentally preferable purchasing is part of our long-term commitment to the environment. By sending a clear signal to producers and suppliers about this commitment, we hope to support the wider adoption of environmentally preferable products and practices.